#EconomicEmpowerment

About the project

The Challenge

This is a microloan product under the joint project between Hand in Hand East Africa (HiH EA) and Safaricom Foundation. The project targets Kenyans aged 18 years and above who have no access to micro credit. The role of HiH EA on the project was to mobilise, train and prepare the beneficiaries to access the microloans under the projects as well as ensure that the project participants properly invested the loans accessed to them in starting-up or enhancing their enterprises into sustainable and profitable venture. Challenges faced by the project include Slow implementation of the mobile banking solutions for the microloan disbursements and recovery due to the low literacy levels among the project beneficiaries. High cost of project implementation due to poor infrastructure and difficult terrain within the project areas. Increased demand for the microloans which exceed the available fund under The Key 2 Empowerment loan product. Overreliance on donor availability to support the project on group mobilization training and also on the credit management related costs which may affects the project desired results.

The Intervention

Out of the Kshs.10 Million granted, 70% was used as revolving fund for the microloans with the remaining 30% being utilised on group mobilisation and training for group leader as the project change agent

The Impact

Complete

Pillars

safaricom

Health

safaricom Read More
safaricom

Education

safaricom Read More
safaricom

Economic Empowerment

safaricom Read More

If you require assistance or wish to provide feedback

Please click here.